Saturday 31 May 2014

Red Arrows at Gylly

The Red Arrows Acrobatic Team, (the Public face of the RAF ) mark their 50th anniversary this year with a national tour. I was lucky enough to capture them captivating, inspiring  and enthralling the crowds at Gylly beach.


Its not that i'm not a  people person but I just didn’t want to spend/ share my experience of the RAF Red Arrows with the thousands of tourists/ families and students that lined Gylly Beach. Maybe that's not in the spirit  of the Red Arrows,  but today was a day I had been looking forward to all week and I didn't want to share the glorious sunshine and captivating sights of the Red Arrow stunt team with anyone but my friends (maybe because I didn’t want complete strangers to see how excited I was about it (after all a nineteen year old as excited as I was  is a little strange), or how I couldn’t stop myself from screaming with excitement as they flew overhead) so we ventured off the beaten path and into a field just off Swanpool, meaning that not only was our view completely clear of toddlers on their fathers shoulders but the planes were often flying straight over us (making it a very immersive if not slightly terrifying experience).

I have a distinctive memory of going to see the Red Arrows with my Mum and Grandma, but I can't seem to remember the actual event, something which seems completely unthinkable when they made such an impact on me at this age, and i'm sure that my childhood sense of intrigue and curiosity would of been even more fascinated and captivated by them. 

To  find out more about the Red Arrows - there defiantly a sight not to be missed.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/


The crowds swarms around Gylly, in anticipation of the Red Arrow Display team, Gylly Beach, May, 31., 2014


The Red Arrows (Jets 1-5 otherwise know as Enid make up the front of the formation whereas 6-9 (Gypo) make up  , the rear) Gylly Beach, May 31, 2014 

The Red Arrows flying over Gylly, Gylly Beach , May 31, 2014 

The Red Arrows with their new Tailfin designs, Gylly Beach, May 31, 2014

The Countries colours hung proudly, Gylly Beach, May 31, 2014





Red Arrow Display Team, Gylly Beach, May 31, 2014





The Jets forming a heart shape (this got to me a little bit - I screamed), Gylly Beach, May 31. 2014

The Red Arrows declining fully vertical in formation, Gylly Beach, May 31, 2014

ALL IMAGES ARE COPYRIGHT ELLIE HETEBRIJ






No comments:

Post a Comment